![]() |
| Ecuadorian Hat Factory |
On a tour around through the towns in the hills around Cuenca, the first stop was the hat factory. We got to hang out in the factory and watch as the people actually made the hats. There were weavers, pressers, molders and sewers. Some of my best photos in Ecuador were taken at the hat factory. The colorful hats simply screamed to be photographed, as did the women at the ancient singer sewing machines. Well, actually the women didn't scream, but they smiled and were most friendly to these intruders into their work place. I wish that I had bought one of these famous hats since I adore hats anyhow and these are world famous. But in my usual travel fashion, I knew that I didn't have any space in my bag, I would never end up wearing the thing and I didn't really need it. I need to get over it. I didn't buy the most incredible rug in the world when we were in Tangier and I didn't get a Panama hat in Ecuador.
By the way, in Ecuador they are called sombreros de paja toquilla, toquilla being the straw they are made from.

0 Hello! Click Here to Say Something!:
Post a Comment